Friday, May 7, 2010

Left 4 Dead 4



Ever since I found out that Left 4 Dead 2 would be staring a new set of survivors, I admit to feeling a little betrayed. I had become accustomed to blasting zombie noggins as the lovable Francis, and his cohorts (yes, even Louis. --_--) I was insulted I'd have to give up Francis for some random newbies down south. Yet, as with everyone else, I was blown away by the content found in the sequel, and I grew attached to the ever-honest Nick. I could live without the rather bland Rochelle, but Ellis and Coach are pretty cool.

Ever since the game came out I'm not the only player whose been aching to play as the original four survivors with the new content. Valve did recently come out with the crossover campaign for 2, The Passing, where the set of new survivors crossed paths with three of the originals (RIP Bill.) This is also with the promise of a prequel campaign for the original that will set up the state we find Francis and pals in, in 2. To many's lament, though, the interactions are all purely story. Neither set of survivors is available in the other game. I can understand this, since the story is revealed through dialogue and the story is completely different for both teams. There are mods out there for the PC version, and I think this will have to suffice for now, but come on Valve, don't act like it'd be terribly hard. Even if it's without dialogue cues, we just want to play as our favorite characters through more settings.

Now, onto the picture content. The way I see it, it'll likely take about two games before we'll be able to see our favorite survivors (along with some new ones) working together. In all likelihood, Left 4 Dead 3 will bring on a new set of survivors. Valve may even listen to players' desires for interchangeability and offer up more than four characters. However, given the dialogue nature of the dialogue cue told story I doubt this. No, it'll likely be more zombie goodness through a different set of locales with a new set of faces. Now what I'm hoping for is Left 4 Dead 4.

With a nice pool of popular characters, what I can see Valve doing is a comprehensive story. Nothing cinematic or anything like that, no, that's not Left 4 Dead. What I can see is a group of campaigns where you choose your set of survivors. Each campaign would be set in the same locale, and containing the same series of meta events. However, you would have three teams to choose from, one from each game (the originals toting a new face to round out their group.) From here the teams would run through parts of the meta setting unique to them, occasionally coming across the other teams and helping or hindering them along the way. This would culminate in something big in the final campaign's finale. Maybe all teams would find themselves in the same place forced to fend off hither-to unimaginable amounts of of hordes with the players controlling their chosen team while the others are driven by the computer as back up. Who knows, maybe there might even be a way by that point to have 12 slots open to players via online connection (that'd be mighty epic). No matter the case, this is one way I see the series going, and the way I'm certainly hoping for.

"But Dan," you may say "that still doesn't explain that nifty poster you made up top." And you'd be right. I left that for last, as it is the least likely, but most fanciful hope, for inclusion into the Left 4 Dead series. Well, the team anyway. The setting "Rough Waters" is just my hope for a level set on a cruise ship. Given the size of those floating cities, and their enclosed nature, I just think it'd be an ample zombie apocalypse playground. As for the team listed...if Left 4 Dead 4 were to go the way I imagine it, with the ability to choose your team of survivors, I just think that atmosphere would be perfect for an unlockable team, for a fanciful, non-story jaunt a la alien mode for the original Half-Life. Who would be the members of the team? Why someone from each of Valve's franchises of course: Gordon Freeman, err duh; Chell, though without her portal device; The Spy, though almost anybody from Team Fortress 2 would fit; and of course, the fallen hero Bill could make his return showing the crossover newbs how it's done.

Like I said, the crossover set of survivors is the least likely to be included. That being said, even though Valve will likely never include it, that's not to say our dear modders out there might not. *wink, wink*

That's it for now, but I'm not done with my Left 4 Dead Fantasy-Hacks yet. Come back tomorrow for my ideas on new uncommon and super zombies.

No comments: